Amarillo Linux Users Group

Meeting Information   •    IRC & XChat Howto   •    IRC   •    Stuff To Wear   •    RSS
User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Search

Who's Online
Dot Online Guests : 4
Dot Online Users : 0
Dot Hidden Users : 0
Dot Total Users : 4

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: old laptop conversion to linux  (Read 1639 times)
rosco
Members
New to ALUG

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:29:25 pm »

Thanks for posting threads.  I spent some time last night to try to get anything linux to boot on the dell inspiron 2600, ~1GHZ, 128MB RAM.  The USB isn't registering as a boot option and the cd drive is effectively not there.   "Damn small linux" and "puppylinux" are said to be good for such little RAM.  (i'll pick the first one simply because of the names) i tried several on the desktop, Xubuntu, crunchbang LITE, etc.  heck, i don't really care which one.  something that runs internet and some office word and spreadsheet.

option 1: i think:  Net Install (Marty & Bill and Doc).  but i must set up some type of PXE server.  i've got the steps but don't know really what they mean.   

Option 2:  also, if there is a way to make any part of a FAT (not the FAT32) stuff bootable with an iso image from net, i might be able to change that part of HDD (the FAT thing with iso image) boot it.  then install it.  But again, I'm kinda lost. 

option 3, if i understand it:  either make the USB drive bootable  or make the USB floppy bootable. 

There is no rush to this issue/conversion.  i'm just anxious to get the laptop finally over to 100% linux, too. 

any help is appreciated!  Here or on amarillolinux chat

Best quote in a while, "...Suddenly there was this amazing silence. The plane was gone. I must have been unconscious and then came to in midair. I was flying, spinning through the air and I could see the forest spinning beneath me." Juliane Koepcke
rosco
Members
New to ALUG

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:32:27 pm »

AND AWESOME JOB ON THE NEW LAYOUT AND COLOR SCHEME!  THE SNAZZINESS OF IT IS JUST NOW  HITTING ME. 

Best quote in a while, "...Suddenly there was this amazing silence. The plane was gone. I must have been unconscious and then came to in midair. I was flying, spinning through the air and I could see the forest spinning beneath me." Juliane Koepcke
rosco
Members
New to ALUG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »

does anyone know if instlux is good?  it converts windows to linux w/ no external media.  A "net install" and easy, i think.  Third paragraph in link below

http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:20:02 pm »

Instlux looks pretty cool.

I wonder if it works along the same lines as Norton Ghost.  When you launch Ghost from Windows it creates a separate temporary partition on the hard drive, which it uses to boot from as the Windows system reboots itself.  Once it reboots, your system runs the Ghost software on PC DOS by-passing the Windows normal boot cycle entirely.

Interesting.  And if that is the case, it should work just fine.

But without testing it I can't be certain.  Well worth a try.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
rosco
Members
New to ALUG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:07:50 pm »

I'm trying Puppy Linux:  i think i found answer!  but need little help.  At this address, at the bottom:  http://www.puppylinux.com/flash-puppy.htm

I find this in second to last paragraph: ........... "Setup" menu and you will see an entry "WakePup create boot floppy". This will create a floppy disk that your PC can boot from. The WakePup floppy disk scans the PC and finds Puppy on a USB drive, hard drive, or CD/DVD drive.

My question is in which Setup?  on the newer linux desktop while in Puppy?  or on windoze laptop (old)? 

i'm gonna go back into using Puppy (gawsh, this name is just so telling of my linux knowledge.  i'll end up with something else, Like BigDogLinux or Damn small linux (DSL). 

Doc,
to the ghost distro, you'll see part of how it runs in the last paragraph on that page. 

The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:34:06 pm »

My question is in which Setup?  on the newer linux desktop while in Puppy?  or on windoze laptop (old)?

The way I read it, you boot Puppy from a Live CD and there is a Setup menu accessible while running the Live CD that allows you to make additional installation media (Flash Drive).

WakePup must be a floppy disk that you boot from in the event that the BIOS does not allow the computer to boot from a CD.  You boot from the floppy and it automatically searches for Puppy on other media (CD-ROM or USB).

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:20:26 pm »

Speaking of "old laptop conversion to linux..."

Ars gear: the old Windows PC resurrected with Ubuntu

The PC I respect most used to be a piece of junk—now I use it nearly every day.

But then again, I've been saying that for years.

(\__/)
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: