Amarillo Linux Users Group

Meeting Information   •    IRC & XChat Howto   •    IRC   •    Stuff To Wear   •    RSS
User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Search

Who's Online
Dot Online Guests : 7
Dot Online Users : 0
Dot Hidden Users : 0
Dot Total Users : 7

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The KDE Thread  (Read 877 times)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:24:45 am »

KDE 4.8 Released

KDE Software Compilation 4.8 Officially Released

Release 4.8: Features, Stability, Performance

I haven't been a big fan of KDE since 3.5 was replaced with 4.x, but I still have high hopes for desktop environment that first got me into the world of Linux.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:18:42 pm by The Doctor » Logged

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
likemindead
Members
Addicted to ALUG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:52:25 am »

I don't prefer KDE but, as always, appreciate the variety of choices in the F/LOSS community.

[mccracken]

I see that there is evil, and I know that there is good, and the in-betweens I've never understood....
rbetzen
Members
New to ALUG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 02:31:47 pm »

Been using KDE since 1.1.  If I remember correctly GNOME was under heavy develoment at the time and wasn't released yet.  I've tried Gnome on occasion, but didn't really find anything exciting enough for me to switch. I actually like the extra choices KDE gives, although I can see why others prefer simpler layouts.  At least that's what I've seen from the limited time I spent with Gnome.  I'll have to say though I'm absolutely not a fan of cramming a tablet interface on a PC.  I think KDE has the right idea of building a flexible interface so that each platform has its own custom look and feel and can still share code across all the platforms.
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:53:20 pm »

@ rbetzen:

Correct!  GNOME (later Gnome) was an offshoot of the original KDE project.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:27 am »

The KDE Death Watch

Is KDE dying? This question, or variants of it, have been asked with increasing frequency in the two weeks since Jonathan Riddell announced that, after the next release, Canonical would no longer pay him for his work on Kubuntu, the KDE version of Ubuntu.

But is the question valid? Or simply unsupported panic?

Unsupported panic.  KDE has been around a long time and shows no signs of stopping now.  Just because one distro is not longer officially working on it doesn't mean the entire desktop environment is dead.

Many other distros use KDE as their default DE.  It's a solid interface and a great tool for transitioning from Windows to Linux.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:14:19 am »

KDE 4.9: As Pretty and Peppy as a Linux Desktop Can Be

KDE is the most powerful of desktop options for Linux users. Its heightened eye candy -- Compiz still works so the option of using the cube and its extensive desktop effects -- makes it a big step up from the other desktop choices. The new KDE brings major updates to the Plasma Workspaces, KDE Applications and the KDE Platform itself.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:37:27 am »

Update to Trinity KDE 3.5 fork brings improvements

Trinity, the fork of the classic version of the KDE desktop which appeared in wake of the backlash against KDE 4.0, is still being developed and, after a year of work, a new stable release, version 3.5.13.1, of the desktop environment is now available. Trinity is a fork that continues development of the old 3.x branch of the KDE desktop and which has been enhanced with additional features but is also designed to be both compatible with newer hardware and responsive on older systems.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:46 am »

KDE 4.9.3 November Update Fixes 86 Bugs

Highlights for KDE 4.9.3 include 86 bug-fixes and stability and performance in Kontact groupware client. That's it though in terms of major highlights worth noting.

See also:

KDE 4.9.3 Has Been Officially Released

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:30 am »

KDE Gets Ubuntu Unity Like Dash: Homerun Launcher

KDE, as I always say, is one of the most advanced desktop environments. It's future-ready with Plasma Active which is fully baked to run on touch-based devices. It's fast, stable and extremely polished when compared with Windows 7 or Mac.

(\__/)
rbetzen
Members
New to ALUG

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 01:57:03 pm »

Interesting.  I wonder how many Unity or Gnome users would be tempted to give this a try.  I'm not sure about myself.  It looks pretty cool, but I don't know if it will actually make me any faster at getting to my software than just using krunner.  It's nice having so many choices, though.
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 11:22:58 pm »

KDE Gets a Homerun

An interesting post appeared today in the Planet KDE news feeds. Introducing Homerun almost gave me a mild coronary until I realized it was an add-on. Homerun gives KDE that GNOME 3-like application launcher.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:29 am »

KDE 4.10 Brings Better, Smarter Dolphin

Dolphin is one of the most advanced file managers around. While its extremely simply and pleasant at the front-end it has an extremely powerful and customizable back-end which give you full control in a user's hand. With KDE 4.10 shaping up it's time to have a look at what's cooking in this file manager.

And I have some good news for longtime Dolphin users.

and

Install Android MTP Support In KDE

With Android 3.x Google switch to MTP, a Microsoft's protocol for media transfer. That turned out to be bad news for GNU/Linux users as MTP is badly broken in the Linux userland. Canonical while did not waste any time in porting Ubuntu to Nexus 7 they did nothing to make life easier for Android-Ubuntu users.

The KDE developers stepped in.

A KDE developer, Àlex Fiestas, recently infromed me that he has added support for MTP devices to Dolphin. He used Philipp Schmidt’s MTP kioslave.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:13 am »

KDE 4.10 Beta 2 Released

Here are some highlights of KDE 4.10:

* Qt Quick is continuing to make its way into the Plasma Workspaces. Plasma Quick, KDE's extensions on top of QtQuick allow deeper integration with the system and more powerful apps and Plasma components.

* It will introduce a new screen locking mechanism based on QtQuick brings more flexibility and security to Plasma Desktop.

* If you like Live wallpapers of Android, you are going to love KDE as the new QtQuick-based wallpaper engine will make it easier to create animated wallpapers.

* KDE's touch-typing learning utility has been rewritten and features a cleaner, more elegant user interface.

KDE 4.9 receives its last stabilisation update

The KDE developers have released the last monthly stabilisation update for the KDE 4.9 release series. KDE 4.9.4 includes 71 bug fixes and translation improvements. Some of the bugs fixed caused KDE applications to crash.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:50:43 pm by The Doctor » Logged

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 10:07:35 am »

KDE 4.9.5 Has Been Officially Released

The KDE Project has announced a few minutes ago, January 2, the immediate availability for download of the fifth and last maintenance release of KDE Software Compilation 4.9.

and

KDE display management to get a boost with kscreen

Two developers from Red Hat and Blue Systems are collaborating on improving display management in the KDE desktop. Blue Systems developer Àlex Fiestas has developed the libkscreen library that polls connected displays and collects information about their available resolutions and outputs. Meanwhile, Dan Vrátil is being sponsored by Red Hat to develop a user interface for KDE's System Settings that uses the information from libkscreen to let the user configure the displays. The display manager Vrátil is working on is called kscreen, with the GUI being dubbed "KCM" or "KDE Display Configuration".

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »

Why Do Users Choose KDE?

Popularity polls for software are questionable indicators at best. However, with KDE receiving just under a third of the votes in LinuxQuestion's Members Choice for 2011 and 2012 and in Linux Journal's 2013 Readers' Choice Awards, there's enough consistency to call KDE the most popular Linux desktop environment.

Admittedly, if you add all the choices that use GNOME technology (Cinnamon, GNOME, Mate, and Unity), then KDE loses its position. But if you consider a desktop environment as a combination of both the shell and the underlying technology, KDE's position is unchallenged. At a time when half a dozen choices are available, KDE's one-third is probably as close to dominance as any desktop is likely to get.

(\__/)
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: