Amarillo Linux Users Group

Meeting Information   •    IRC & XChat Howto   •    IRC   •    Stuff To Wear   •    RSS
User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Search

Who's Online
Dot Online Guests : 5
Dot Online Users : 0
Dot Hidden Users : 0
Dot Total Users : 5

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Unity  (Read 3246 times)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:20 pm »

Ubuntu Linux losing popularity fast. New Unity interface to blame?

Itís obviously way too early to say whether Ubuntu, in actual use, is declining or not. However, if this is any indication of which way the wind is blowing, itís time for Ubuntu to take notice.

What we also canít say for sure based on this research is why this change in popularity is happening. Itís possible that itís due to how the DistroWatch numbers are put together, and itís possible that Unity is having some effect.

Part of the decline for Ubuntu is due to Unity, but part is also due to the fact that the Mint team has created a very user friendly distro that many new users can easily switch to from Windows with minimal effort.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Marty
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

The Real Slim Shady

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 02:14:50 pm »

I think Unity is part of the reason. The other reason is the fact that Ubuntu ALWAYS screws with things that don't need screwing with. I can't tell you how many times I dreaded upgrading Ubuntu distros, simply because I'd have to relearn half the paths and commands I had become accustomed to.
Take a command or config file, and Ubuntu would feel the need to change it or move it. It gets old after a while. This is EXACTLY the reason I switched from Ubuntu Server to Debian on all my servers. I found myself constantly having to google for the simplest commands because they were now different or the config files had moved.

I can't say enough about the great job the Linux Mint team is doing. In Mint 12, they're trying to make the best of a bad situation with the whole Gnome 3 transition. Yes its coming, but they don't cram it down our throats like Ubuntu did with Unity, and Microsoft with Vista and the Aero interface. Superb job Linux Mint guys!

-Marty

whatis sex
sex: nothing appropriate.
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 10:12:49 am »

Freedom from Ubuntu with Debian Alternatives

That's the great thing about Linux -- Choice!

(\__/)
likemindead
Members
Addicted to ALUG

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 12:55:14 pm »

They could have included CrunchBang which is now Debian-based.

[mccracken]

I see that there is evil, and I know that there is good, and the in-betweens I've never understood....
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 10:54:13 am »

They could have included CrunchBang which is now Debian-based.

Old Computer? No Problem! Linux Saves The Day

Want to know what utilizes 54.3 MB of RAM idle at 1% CPU utilization on a Gateway M250 laptop?  CrunchBang Linux, thatís what!

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 04:43:33 pm »

MyUnity: A configuration tool for Unity

Since Ubuntu introduced Unity many users were complaining about its lack of customization. Here comes MyUnity, a new tool for tweaking and customizing your Unity desktop. This tool provides full customization of Unity features, including the Unity Launcher, Dash, Panel, Desk and Font, through a Graphical User Interface (GUI). MyUnity will be included by default on Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) repositories. However those of you who are using Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) and 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) may install it like this.

Better, but still not perfect.

(\__/)
rbetzen
Members
New to ALUG

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 05:17:34 pm »

I've been usng KDE since about 1.1 so forgive my ignorance on the matter.  I was wondering if anyone has given KDE another look since GNOME decided to change the interface.  Each desktop has both its good points and its bad, but it seems to me the the most aggravating thing about GNOME 3 and Unity for most users is the fact that it broke with the traditional desktop paradigm without a good reason (or at least a better paradigm).

If you have tried it and still don't like it, I'm curious as to why.  If I need to start another thread, let me know.
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:23:44 am »

KDE is a bit of puzzle to me.

I don't like the way it's implemented in Kubuntu, but I do like it in PCLinuxOS.   I really liked KDE 3.5.  The newer version, not as much.

It does seem to be making more headway into the market:

Get the Beauty of KDE on Your Tablet

On Wednesday, however, the KDE project announced the arrival of the next iteration of the software, Plasma Active Two, with significantly improved performance, a raft of new features, and compatibility with many more mobile devices.

And the fact that it can be installed on Windows machines makes it one of the most versatile desktop environments ever created.

(\__/)
rbetzen
Members
New to ALUG

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 10:38:32 am »

I'm really wanting to install it on my Xoom.  I haven't found the time to do it yet.  Maybe if we get snowed in I can give it a look. Smiley  I'm also looking at putting Cyanogen on my phone since CarrierIQ came to light. 

As for GNOME, I'll have to admit I've played with it a couple of times, but I guess KDE is just more familiar to me and I'm too set in my ways.  GNOME wasn't even around when I started, so I guess it never really had a chance. Gnome3 never has appealed to me as a desktop interface.  Probably a very nice tablet or netbook interface as far as I can tell.  I like the way KDE doesn't try to force you into any particular workflow.  Admittedly, this can lead to some confusion, so I guess maybe that's why so many prefer Gnome.  Thanks for the input.
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 10:19:32 am »

Add a kill window applet to the Ubuntu Unity launcher

This screencast shows you how to add a Kill Window applet to the Unity launcher. This applet is a must have for anyone who was a fan of the kill applet in Gnome 2.

Introducing Ubuntu Calendar Lens for Unity

Ubuntu Calendar Lens is a Unity Launcher plugin which allows users to quickly search and access their calendar directly from Unity, by accessing the calendar lens icon. The results are automatically filtered in Upcoming and Recent categories, and users can also manually filter the events by Personal and Birthdays & Anniversaries, and by time range.

At least someone is trying to make Unity functional.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 10:23:42 am »

Unity Desktop Lenses

One of the most popular features of the new Unity desktop are the Lenses. You can uses lenses to sort and search for items inside the Unity dash. For example, a lens for music will allow you to filter your searches for all of your music items and display music only in your search results. There are several lenses that can be added to the dash, each providing its own impressive functions as well.

A nice attempt to make Unity more functional, but it's still Unity.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 10:26:10 am »

7 Reasons to Like and Dislike Ubuntu Unity

The release of Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) hasn't exactly made critics warm to Ubuntu's Unity interface. However, Unity having gone through several versions, a definite tone of acceptance -- or maybe resignation -- colors discussion of the new release. Although Unity isn't a critical favorite, the pundits are at least resigned to the fact that it isn't going away.

True, it may not be going away anytime soon, but that doesn't mean that user's are stuck it.  Unlike Windows and Mac, Linux users always have a choice.

Advantage:  Linux.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 08:56:56 am »

Unity Revamped Adds New Features to Ubuntu 12.04

When installed, Unity Revamped adds the following missing features from Unity: Dodge Windows functionality to Unity Launcher (can be selected in CompizConfig Settings Manager app), and the ability to minimize/unminimize apps by clicking their icon in the Unity Launcher (spread behavior is still available for multiple windows of the same app).

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 10:23:03 am »

Ubuntu doubles down on Unity, will focus on mobile and the cloud in 2013

In less than a decade, Ubuntu has become the most well-known desktop Linux variant. With its heavy focus on user interface and usability, itís easy to see why Ubuntu has become a popular introduction to the world of Linux. Recently, the developers have switched away from traditional interfaces to a more streamlined UI called Unity. The new look alongside integration with Amazon search from the desktop have raised the ire of a number of Linux diehards. Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu, has recently made a blog post explaining the plans for Ubuntu in 2013. Anyone expecting a change of heart about Canonicalís recent UI and UX decisions is in for some disappointment.

(\__/)
The Doctor
Administrator
Addicted to ALUG

Home Sweet Home

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 01:06:40 pm »

Introducing Ubuntu Unity for Arch Linux

Therefore, if you ever dreamed of using the Unity desktop environment designed by Canonical for its popular Ubuntu Linux operating system on top of the reliable, powerful, and stable Arch Linux distribution, now is your chance, thanks to the Unity-for-Arch project.

Dream?  Sounds more like a nightmare.

(\__/)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print

Jump to: